My goodness, this is something we certainly didn’t expect. The Belize Tourism Board awarded the Bistro Belize’s “Restaurant of the Year” for the 2nd time. We can think of a whole lot of restaurants that deserve an award like this too, but we were lucky enough to be chosen again.
The 2012 awards presentation happened May 18th, 2013, out on a private island about an hour off the coast of Belize. Awards were presented in 9 categories, and Placencia businesses won 7 of them! That’s a big boost to our collective ego down here in the South.
Congratulations to the other winners as well.
- MAYA BEACH HOTEL BISTRO – Restaurant of the Year
- PLACENCIA VILLAGE – Destination of the Year
- PLACENCIA TOURISM CENTER – Hospitality Award
- PLACENCIA LOBSTERFEST – Major Festival of the Year
- TOUR OPERATOR OF THE YEAR – Splash Dive Center
- SMALL HOTEL OF THE YEAR – Singing Sands Inn
- FRONTLINE PERSON OF THE YEAR – Natalie (Chabil Mar)
A non-Placencia winner got the major trophy for Hotel of the Year, but that’s OK. They earned it! Chabil Mar was a close runner up, though! And we’re happy for Jerome who used to live in Placencia and work for Avadon Divers (Also awarded “Tour Operator of the Year” the last time)
- HOTEL OF THE YEAR – San Ignacio Resort Hotel
- TOUR GUIDE OF THE YEAR – Jerome Williams
But it’s a good thing we’re better at cooking than we are at speech making…check out the YouTube clip:
The ride out to the caye on the catamaran was a lot of fun. Here’s one quick shot of John & Ellen before they got all nervous.
To our fabulous employees, THANKS VERY MUCH!!! To our amazing, regular customers, THANKS VERY MUCH!!! To our supportive and happy hotel guests, THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!! And to the Belize Tourism Board, people on the committee, and those who depend on tourism for a living, we truly appreciate the honor and we promise to do our best to create sustained interest in Belize.